Sunday, September 11, 2011

Waltzing at any age

Last weekend, at the wedding reception, we danced to Etta James “At Last” arguably one of the sexiest songs ever written. Once many years ago after a whole day of combining wet hot cow manure with our new garden plot, he took me into his arms and waltzed with me on the driveway between the barn and the house. Covered in mud and manure he told me how beautiful I was. He made me feel beautiful!

After midnight, my legs twisted in cramps, he waltzed me around the bedroom walking out, untying the knots in my legs. What a sweet tender dance of age and love, born out of a life long commitment.

In the movies they always look so elegant, so flawless, but it is better in real life; even as we stumble over each others feet employing dance steps not known to any dance instructors. The dance of two klutzy people who found safety, dependability, and everlasting love.

Blessings, Karen

1 comment:

Sarah-Octogenarian said...

A beautiful tribute to Graham and a beautiful tribute to a marriage!
Love to you both.